Join Park Ranger Kip Woolford for an overnight visit and viewing of the night sky at Chinde Point picnic area in Petrified Forest National Park on Saturday, Sept. 12.
Overnight camping is permitted, but participants must arrive in the park prior to park closing (7 p.m. Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Time). An RSVP is required no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 11 (MST/PDT) to Kip Woolford by phone at (928) 524-6228, ext. 273, or by email to email@example.com.
Events will include stargazing and Junior Ranger Night Explorer kids’ activities. Ranger Woolford will have a telescope set up along with several other telescopes from local area astronomer enthusiasts for public viewing of the night sky. Night sky photographers are welcome as well.
- Overnight camping is not required, but once you leave the park you will not be allowed back into it.
- There are restrooms and picnic tables on-site, but no R.V. hook-ups or showers.
- R.V.s and trailers are welcome up to a 15-vehicle maximum on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Open fires are prohibited. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food.
- Meals are not provided.
- Bug spray, a headlamp, a flashlight (red gel filter to preserve night sight during sky observation) and closed-toed shoes are recommended.
This activity is free and open to the public (regular park entrance fees apply).
For more information contact: Ranger Woolford or inquire online at: